Privacy NoticeContact & Navigate
BB&T Insurance Services, Inc.
BB&T Insurance Services of California, Inc.
- Consumer Privacy Notice
- Categories of Information We May Collect
- Disclosure of Information to Third Parties
- Information We May Share Within the BB&T Corporate Family
- Your Information Choices
- Disclosure of Medical Information
- How to Review and Correct Your Personal Information
- Our Security Procedures
- Other Privacy Protections
- Insurance Providers
- Our Commitment
The BB&T Corporate Family includes many types of financial services providers, such as insurance agencies, banks, consumer finance companies, securities broker-dealers, and mortgage companies. Over our long history as a financial services provider, we have placed the highest value on the information you share with us, and we are committed to protecting your privacy. This commitment forms the cornerstone of trust and confidence on which we hope to build long-lasting relationships with the clients we serve. Our Consumer Privacy Notice (Notice) reaffirms our commitment to safeguarding your information.
Consumer Privacy Notice
Categories of Information We May Collect
We may collect information directly from you and from other sources in order to provide the products and services you have requested, to service your policy, and to determine your eligibility for other products and services. We may collect the following categories of information about you from the following sources:
- Information we receive from you on applications, or other forms and other oral, written, or electronic communications, such as your name, address, Social Security number, assets, income, and medical information;
- Information about your transactions with us, other companies in the BB&T Corporate Family or others, such as transaction history, policy coverage, premiums, payment history, and claims history;
- Information we receive from third parties, including consumer reporting agencies and persons providing services in connection with your transactions, such as credit reports, driving records, and medical claims;
- Information collected from our Internet websites, such as information you provide to us and information necessary to manage your online session with us; and,
- Information we obtain from health care providers about your past and current health condition.
Disclosure of Information to Third Parties
We do not disclose information about you to third parties, except as required or permitted by law. For example, in the course of our general business practices, we may disclose information contained in applications and other forms that we collect, as previously described, to the following types of third parties for the reasons described:
- To a third party to perform a business, professional, or insurance function for us;
- To an insurance company, agent, or insurance support organization, or self-insurer to detect or prevent fraud, criminal activity, or misrepresentation in connection with an insurance transaction;
- To an insurance company, agent, or insurance support organization to perform a function in connection with an insurance transaction involving you;
- To a medical care provider in order to verify coverage or benefits;
- To an insurance regulatory authority, or law enforcement or other governmental authority to prevent or prosecute fraud, or if we believe that you have conducted illegal activities; and
- To a group policyholder for the purpose of reporting claims experience.
In addition, where permitted by law, we may disclose the information we collect about you, as previously described, to other companies that perform marketing services on our behalf and to other financial services companies with whom we have joint marketing agreements.
Virginia residents: Unless you tell us not to, we may share information about you with insurance companies and other third parties described above in order to give you appropriate insurance coverage upon expiration of your policy. You may direct us not to share this information by calling your local BB&T Insurance agency or our Service Center at 1-800-228-1820.
Information We May Share Within the BB&T Corporate Family
Unless you tell us not to, we may share information about our experiences and transactions with you (such as type of insurance) and identifying information about you (such as your name and address) as well as other information described below with companies within the BB&T Corporate Family. We will share this information with our affiliates for the purpose of offering to you or considering you for products, services, or opportunities made available by other BB&T companies. This other information includes the following:
- Information we obtain from your applications or other forms, such as your income, assets, and employment history;
- Information we obtain from a credit bureau, such as your credit history; and
- Information we obtain from others to verify information provided by you, such as your credit or other relationships with third parties.
Companies in the BB&T Corporate Family that may receive this information are all financial services companies, including banks, consumer finance companies, securities broker-dealers, insurance agencies, and mortgage companies.
Your Information Choices
How to Tell Us to Limit the Sharing of Information Within the BB&T Corporate Family
If you ask us to limit the sharing of information within our corporate family, you may miss learning of financial products and services offered by these companies that might be of benefit to you.
If you prefer that we not share information about you with companies within the BB&T Corporate Family, you may direct us not to share (opt out) by calling your local BB&T Insurance agency or our Service Center at 1-800-228-1820. We will process your request as soon as we reasonably can. If you have already directed us not to share, you do not need to opt out again. We may continue to share information about you with our affiliates as required or permitted by law. For example, we may share information to enable an affiliate to perform a business function for us. Each company within the BB&T Corporate Family will continue to contact its consumer clients with offers of its own products and services. You will continue to receive product messages via your statement(s), as well as telephone and mail offers from BB&T companies with whom you have relationships.
How to Tell Us to Limit Marketing Within the BB&T Corporate Family
Federal law gives you the right to limit some, but not all, marketing from the BB&T companies. Federal law also requires us to give you this Notice to tell you about your choice to limit marketing from the BB&T companies.
You may limit the BB&T companies, such as the banking, lending, credit card, insurance, and securities companies, from marketing their products or services to you based on your personal information that they receive from other BB&T companies. This information may include your income, your account history, and your credit score.
You may limit marketing offers by calling your local BB&T Insurance agency or our Service Center at 1-800-228-1820.